Friday, June 9, 2017

Week 1...Done

And the first week of Summer Youth Fitness is done!    The week went fairly well.    Only major issue was on Tuesday as I had to close the pool due to low staffing.    Placed an add in the local newspapers and hope to hire another 2 life guards by roping in some high school kids.    Seems to be a huge shortage of life guards in Central Iowa though.    It's already making me worry for next year as getting staff this summer (pool-wise) was like pulling teeth.

I've been really happy with the program too because my energy levels are fantastic.     It is much easier to move around the building and outside locations all afternoon.     I'm getting a lot done and even extra stuff too thanks to being peppy.    I only fell asleep early one evening this week too so it's nice to be able to function after a long day.   Next week will be brutal though as it's supposed to be so hot.  

Dan's boy is participating in the program and thankfully Dan was able to bring him on Monday and Tuesday since I was plenty busy teaching in the mornings and doing prep work for the program.    He did have to come early with me on Wednesday and did OK.     We didn't have to come until noon yesterday which should be the norm for the remaining weeks.     I had a somewhat uncomfortable talk with Dan yesterday about some concerns.    At times he seems really disengaged from Jude which A) puts more work on me at home and B) just isn't great parenting.   There have been issues that have popped up (e.g. Jude making a mess) and it happens right in front of Dan and he doesn't seem to notice or care.    He explained that after work he just wants to relax and is tired.    I guess I was a bitch and said "tough, parenting is a 24/7 job".   Plus if he's that wiped out, he shouldn't be working double shifts if it affects his interactions with his son.    I guess I put my foot down about it all because it was eating away at me, especially the past few nights.    I don't mind helping with Jude but I'm not the primarily parent.     I also had to do the hand-off of Jude to his mother last night.    I wasn't happy about that either but it went OK.    She was way too nice (in an overkill way) and I got out of there quickly.     It was a bit funny because I pulled into the drive way and got out to unload Jude.   Before I knew it, his older brother was running at the car and then she was outside quickly too.    We think they were quick to respond so I wouldn't walk up to the house or the door.    Sigh.  

I'm getting somewhat excited about the Fourth of July holiday.    I think our plans are to attend the Ames parade.    Fireworks are the night before on July 3rd.    I think we'll do the use thing at Hilton but come early with outside games and have a fun evening.    Not sure if we have Jude or not and I'm not sure if Gavin works yet.     Speaking of Gavin, he has now been at Hy-Vee for a year.    Ask him about it and he just shrugs.    Shocking.  

Dan and I are planning a long weekend in Milwaukee in July too.    On July 13 we'll drive there as we are attending a concert that night.    (Toad the Wet Sprocket)   It will be the first time (I think) that I take a day off from Summer Youth Fitness.   Makes me a bit nervous due to my Type A style with work.      On July 14 we are likely going to do a river cruise in Milwaukee (historical focus) and also visit a nearby cave that gives tours.     In honor of his Dad, we'll likely do the Harley museum too even though that really doesn't interest me.    Still have some gaps in the agenda and may do something on July 15 before we head back to Iowa.    Not sure yet.     We are also thinking about a trip to Cleveland in August (first weekend).     We may go to Cedar Point Roller Coaster park one day and attend a Cleveland Indians game or two as well.    Baseball games would be for Dan's birthday.   Still no clue as if kids are coming with and how many.   I would like Gavin to come and it may work with his football schedule too.     Dan's kids?    Too early to tell.  

Guess that's enough of an update for now!    Enjoy the heat.

Image result for funny pictures of hot weather

1 comment:

  1. I saw your comments on Facebook about lacking lifeguards. It's such a common summer job, I'm surprised there aren't a plethora. Does Jude enjoy the program? Is it fun having a kid in the house again?? The harsh truths you gave Dan sound like the stuff I tell Tony all the time. I point out when Keira has left a mess or if she's doing something she shouldn't. Sometimes I just handled it myself too.
    I am a Type A, want a plan, kind of person, so I wish I had more of the summer planned. It bugs me that Tony's not the same way. I don't know about the 4th or when he, Keira, and I will have our vacation. There are so many things up in the air. Tony would like Milwaukee, especially the Harley museum. Like I said, it would be nice to bring Keira to Adventureland sometime, probably in July. I hope Gavin doesn't work himself to death this summer. Are you reading anything these days? Watch any good movies, provided when your hacker wasn't watching your Netflix. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete