Thursday, June 29, 2017

Gavin's Lost Some Wisdom.....Teeth

Greetings:

I guess the big news in the past week has been the removal of Gavin's wisdom teeth.   We went in for a consultation last Wednesday and got good news.    The doctor said Gavin's case was one of the easiest of the week.   Only one of the teeth were erupting and the other three were still under the gums and nice and straight too.    The plan was to go ahead and pull those babies out on Friday morning.

He had three options:
  1. Just get local anesthetic and have them removed (12 shots total)
  2. Get local anesthetic and laughing gas
  3. Get an IV and be put under
At first he wanted option 1 but I talked him into option 2.   He thought it was cool during the procedure because the doctor would tell him what he was doing.   Unlike most people, the sounds he heard didn't gross him out.    Makes me sick thinking about it.   

The procedure went fast and he was done more quickly than I expected.    I wasn't expecting him to need 5 prescriptions after it but luckily our usual pharmacy is right across the street from the surgical office.    They gave  him prescription pain killers (barely used them), prescription strength Ibuprofen (used it a lot), steroids to help healing (took last dose today), an antibiotic to prevent infection, and a prescription mouth wash too.    He had a few moments of bad pain but he did really well with the process.    He was quite puffy on day 2 and 3 because he wasn't on top of the icing process.    We can see some signs of bruising now too as parts of his jaw are yellowish in color.    

I'm just glad we were able to get it scheduled and done this summer.   Next on the agenda is to figure out senior picture ideas.    I am very  much OK with Alissa doing some fall shots with him in NE Iowa.    The question will be when we can get up there with her schedule and his football schedule.   Or maybe we could do some shots at Ledges by Boone.    I do want a professional photographer to take some too down this way, especially with his athletic equipment.   I should probably line that up at some point.    

I'm starting to feel a bit old as the "list of things to do" for Gavin's final year of high school is starting.

1.   Wisdom teeth out
2.  Senior pictures
3.   Figure out college options---he's still indecisive but he needs to do some visits
4.   FAFSA stuff 

He's made it somewhat clear he doesn't want to move with me to Ames next year.    Further pressure for him to figure out what he's going to do because if he does end up going for a trade and attending a place like DMACC, we'll also need to get apartment stuff figured out too.     

Guess Gavin was the focus for this one!

Image result for wisdom teeth funny

1 comment:

  1. Did you really spell Alissa's name wrong? Ha ha ha. I think it's weird that Gavin is so opposed to living with you. Won't he have a room at your house regardless? It sounds like he took the wisdom removal experience much better than I. However, I had two taken out at a time, so I had to go back like two weeks later to have the other two removed. I didn't get any prescriptions afterward either. I got screwed. I'm sure the senior picture stuff will be easy. He doesn't strike me as fussy. Hopefully I'll be seeing you Monday.

    ReplyDelete